Looking at the small cultural shifts that beckon change and the emerging behaviors that are just reaching the mainstream, The Cultural Insight team at Added Value recently conducted research to determine the top six trends that will shape consumer behavior in 2014.
1. Multiplicity. We are increasingly expecting things to do more – interacting with all of our senses, offering us a range of touch points to play with and involving us entirely in new experiences.
2. Hyper Efficiency. We are seeking and discovering ever smarter and more efficient ways to solve age-old issues – such as keeping fit, lack of space and limited resources. The results are sleeker, quicker and use things that have previously been discounted.
3. The New Industrial Revolution. Digital and technological advances are enabling us to create in new ways – leading to new creative forms and helping us see a new appreciation of digital as a thing of beauty.
4. Escape. In a world of rigor and grown-up responsibility, we are seeing the increasing desire to let go, to let loose and indulge in childlike freedom or sheer hedonistic joy.
5. Mindfulness. In a world full of buzz and surface interactions, people are seeking out more depth and meaning. They are craving time away from the stimulus of the Internet, making their leisure time more about self-development and taking their own ethical responsibilities seriously.
6. Super-personalized. Personalization has been taken out of the hands of consumers. Advances in technology mean that products are able to read consumers and give them what they want – sometimes without even being asked.
Source: Six Trends That Will Shape Consumer Behavior This Year. (February 4, 2014). Forbes.